Custard powder is a fine powder made up of thickeners, milk powder and flavoring that turns into a rich, sweet vanilla sauce once heated with milk and sugar. It’s readily available in many parts of the world including Nigeria but, alas, not everywhere. Custard powder is another form of porridge made from corn, but in a more refined nutritious state because of the added vitamins and minerals.It is a delicious delicacy enjoyed by almost everyone and mostly used as a side or compliment in breakfast.Especially as a meal for children and infants.
The demand for custard powder-based recipes has also been growing in China, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand. Followed by the emerging markets in Latin America, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, especially Nigeria, offering substantial growth opportunities.
With a population of over 190 million people, the potential for growth and current demand for custard powder is fast increasing in Nigeria. It is a fast-moving consumer good, and as a cheap source of carbohydrate for energy supply and dietary fibre, it is a delicacy that is great for people in the country across all ages, religions, ethnicities, genders, and social strata, with the annual national demand for custard powder is estimated to be around 450,000 tonnes and rising, therebycreating a great investment opportunity.
If you’re looking for an FMCG to invest in, starting a custard powder production business is a way to go.
SEE ALSO:How To Make Money On Whatsapp | ER
Business Opportunites In Custard Powder Production
1). Production Of Cakes And puddings:
Custard is used as a major ingredient in baking various types of cake recipes and production of custard puddings.
2). Food and Dessert Production:
Custard powder is used as a dessert and as a primary meal for feeding babies, kids, and also adults.
Facts And Benefits Of Custards
- Helps manage cholesterol levels
- Is widely consumed as a dessert all over the world
- Custard powder is made from cornfloor
- Custard Powder helps manage weight
- Custard be frozen and served as desserts like ice cream
- Custard is an ancient recipe that dates back to the Roman Apicius times.
- The world record for the biggest custard pie fight is 253 people gathering to throw 648 pies in a matter of minutes. The record was accomplished in Colchester, Essex, the U.K. on 13 august 2009.
- Because custard powder is a very fine organic powder, it is explosive.
- Custard is high in protein.
- Custard is richly fortified with vitamin b12
Types Of Custard Powder
The varieties of custard powder depends mostly on its flavour and ingredients used in the production of its recipe.
The most popular flavours of custard are;
1). The Milk Custard:
This custard is very rich in milk and usually very creamy and tasty
2). Vanilla Flavoured Custard:
This is a very common type of custard and it is popular for its sweet taste and Vanilla flavour aroma.
3). Plain Custard:
This custard is prepared without the use of any natural or artificial flavour. This type of custard is best enjoyed with milk and sugar.
How To Monetize Custard Powder Production
1). Acquire Equipment For Production:
The first step is to get the right tools for custard production to ensure optimal results in the most healthy state possible.
Note that custard production is not capital intensive, and therefore, does need a lot of equipment to get started.
The base equipment needed in custard productions are Mixing tank/bowl, Smaller plastic, Sealer, Custard Nylon, Big spoon, and a very neat environment.
2). Basic Raw Material:
Next, procure the basic ingredients that are required to produce the custard.These are Edible corn starch or cornflour, Vanilla flavour, condensed milk flavour, Glucose, Vitamin C powder, Egg Yolk, Tartrazine and Sodium Benzoate (Preservative).
3). Production Process:
- STEP 1.First ensure you’re wearing an apron and a white glove, then open a 25kg bag of edible cornflour. Measure 1kg of corn starch from the bag and pour a little quality into a clean white bowl or container for premixing. Break two eggs, separate the yolk, and add it to the mixture, afterwhich you mix well to blend with the cornflour. Then add a pinch of tetrazine, vanilla, dried skimmed milk flavours, one spoon of glucose, one teaspoon of vitamin C powder, and a pinch of sodium Benzoate.
- STEP 2.Pour the remaining cornflour into your bigger mixing bowl or plastic container. Then add your premix to the bigger cornflour. Make sure there are no pallets in the content and mix properly for about 25 minutes. After mixing, you start packaging and branding it for distribution.